All About Volcanoes
This unit about volcanoes has kid-friendly leveled reading passages, organizers, a hidden word fact sort, vocabulary posters with related activities, and a volcano-shaped flip booklet!
This unit includes many interactive activities and learning opportunities for students with leveled reading passages that focus on:
- Famous Volcanic Eruptions
- Leveled Reading Passages---THREE Different Levels of Difficulty
- Teacher's Directions
- A short video shared from safeshare.tv
- Hidden word fact sort activity
- Flip Booklet (6 pages)
- Answer Keys
Plus the vocabulary posters with real-life photos make an attractive bulletin board.
✔Spotlight on Vocabulary Activity
✔Vocabulary Flip Flaps
✔For Elementary Grades - 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade
✔Great for Core Knowledge
✔Common Core Aligned
This unit highlights the following essential questions:
- What is a volcano?
- What's the difference between an active, dormant, and extinct volcano?
- Name and describe a famous volcanic eruption.
- How can a volcano affect our environment?
There are three main parts of the unit:
A teacher’s copy of the passages is in color. Read the leveled reading passages about volcanoes and complete the organizers. Each passage has comprehension questions to check for understanding. Watch the video and complete the various hands-on activities in this pack to reinforce learning. These activities work well in small groups, partners, or in stations.
Students can build the flipbook page by page. I usually have them do one page at each center or station. They can use the passages as a reference source to help them complete the pages of the flip-up. Lastly, they cut, color, and assemble the booklet. Flip-up books can be glued or stapled inside their interactive notebooks.
Introduce the vocabulary words with the real-life photo posters included. You could post these posters around the classroom and have students travel around to match up and define the words in their flip flaps or spotlight on the vocabulary page. These posters make an excellent bulletin board display in a snap!
There are lots of activities for differentiation depending on the needs of your students and the time allotted for this unit.
This is a Digital Download. No Physical Product will be shipped.
- These specific files are ©2018 Heart 2 Heart Teaching, LLC. All rights reserved.
• For personal use, classroom use, and non-commercial use only. It is unlawful to distribute any part of this file for any reason (whether they are free or for purchase).
- Clipart, graphics, photographs, found inside this product are copyrighted. They may not be extracted from this file without written permission from the original artist(s).
- We'd love to see how you use these activities in your classroom--- Tag @heart2heartteaching on Instagram!
How will I receive my download?
Once purchased, you will first receive an order confirmation email. Right after that, you receive a separate email with a link that you will click to download the zipped file. You will receive one or more PDF files.
What if I can't find the email with the Printable in it?
If you're using Gmail as your mail service, be sure to check the "spam," "promotions," and "updates" folders/tabs! Your email will be sent via our automated system (omitting the potential for human error) so if you ordered the download and entered the correct email address, you can be sure it's in your email somewhere!
What's a ZIP file?
Many of our resources are in a compressed ZIP file. A ZIP file is a compressed folder with multiple files. A ZIP file takes up less storage space making it easier to download. ZIP files are able to be opened easily, just follow the steps below depending on your system.
For Microsoft Windows:
- Right click on the ZIP folder
- Choose Extract All from the menu
- Choose a place to save the file
- Click Extract
For Google Chrome:
- After it finishes downloading
- Click on the download box at bottom left of the browser page
- Click Extract All at the top of the page
For Mac Users:
- Double click on the ZIP folder
- The file should automatically extract
Other Options--try opening the ZIP file using one of these free websites:
Where do I print my download?
For BEST RESULTS, print the posters on the premium brochure and flyer paper from Office Depot. Using this paper gives the posters a vibrant look that really makes the colors pop! Or send the file to a print shop. But don't worry about that if you need these quickly! Just print on regular paper on the best quality setting on your printer.
Having Printing Issues?
Many of our files are PDF’s are large units with a lot of graphics and photographs. Sometimes, it may look fine on your screen, but may not print out correctly. If you’re having trouble printing a PDF, please be sure that you're opening the PDF with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
After downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat Reader:
- Open the PDF
- Click Print
- Select Shrink oversized pages
- Click Advanced
- Check the box: Print As Image
- Click Print