Civil War Trading Cards
Take a look at this FUN Civil War activity that is sure to captivate your students. Students will read about 7 historical figures that played an important part in the American Civil War and then answer comprehension questions on the organizers. Lastly, they will create a trading card for each person listed below.
It includes trading cards for the following influential people:
- Abraham Lincoln
- General Ulysses S. Grant
- General Robert E. Lee
- Harriet Tubman
- Clara Barton
- A Union Soldier
- A Confederate Soldier
- 7 Reading passages
- 7 Biography Organizers
- 7 Trading Cards (b/w and color)
Over the years, I have seen my own children fall in love with collecting trading cards such as Pokemon. So I knew it would be fun for students to make their own trading cards about famous people in history. It’s also a great way to practice summarizing. And that is how this product came about.
Then I had a thought...What if students could save and collect trading cards throughout the school year for different units? These cards could be saved to review for tests or just for fun. (COMING SOON: NEW Trading Cards for my other units!)
I recommend buying LIBRARY CARD POCKETS if you plan to have students collect them or keep them for other units. For best results, print the cards on cardstock or premium brochure and flyer paper from Office Depot. The cards will last longer and be more sturdy. Remember to set the printer on the best quality setting. There are labels in this pack to glue on the front of the pockets or you can write the names using a sharpie if desired. I hope your students love this project as much as mine do!
Suggestions for Use:
- Use it at stations to introduce these influential people
- Use this at the end of the unit as a review activity
***I have added these trading cards to my CIVIL WAR BUNDLE so if you already own it, you don't need to purchase this pack. Simply download it again for the updated version.***
Students will love creating and collecting trading cards for all my social studies units.
This is a Digital Download. No Physical Product will be shipped.
- These specific files are ©2018 Heart 2 Heart Teaching, LLC. All rights reserved.
• For personal use, classroom use, and non-commercial use only. It is unlawful to distribute any part of this file for any reason (whether they are free or for purchase).
- Clipart, graphics, photographs, found inside this product are copyrighted. They may not be extracted from this file without written permission from the original artist(s).
- We'd love to see how you use these activities in your classroom--- Tag @heart2heartteaching on Instagram!
How will I receive my download?
Once purchased, you will first receive an order confirmation email. Right after that, you receive a separate email with a link that you will click to download the zipped file. You will receive one or more PDF files.
What if I can't find the email with the Printable in it?
If you're using Gmail as your mail service, be sure to check the "spam," "promotions," and "updates" folders/tabs! Your email will be sent via our automated system (omitting the potential for human error) so if you ordered the download and entered the correct email address, you can be sure it's in your email somewhere!
What's a ZIP file?
Many of our resources are in a compressed ZIP file. A ZIP file is a compressed folder with multiple files. A ZIP file takes up less storage space making it easier to download. ZIP files are able to be opened easily, just follow the steps below depending on your system.
For Microsoft Windows:
- Right click on the ZIP folder
- Choose Extract All from the menu
- Choose a place to save the file
- Click Extract
For Google Chrome:
- After it finishes downloading
- Click on the download box at bottom left of the browser page
- Click Extract All at the top of the page
For Mac Users:
- Double click on the ZIP folder
- The file should automatically extract
Other Options--try opening the ZIP file using one of these free websites:
Where do I print my download?
For BEST RESULTS, print the posters on the premium brochure and flyer paper from Office Depot. Using this paper gives the posters a vibrant look that really makes the colors pop! Or send the file to a print shop. But don't worry about that if you need these quickly! Just print on regular paper on the best quality setting on your printer.
Having Printing Issues?
Many of our files are PDF’s are large units with a lot of graphics and photographs. Sometimes, it may look fine on your screen, but may not print out correctly. If you’re having trouble printing a PDF, please be sure that you're opening the PDF with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
After downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat Reader:
- Open the PDF
- Click Print
- Select Shrink oversized pages
- Click Advanced
- Check the box: Print As Image
- Click Print