Rocks and Minerals Complete Unit
Rocks and Minerals Rock! This unit has 10 leveled reading passages, organizers, tri-fold brochure activity, unit test (editable), flipbook, vocabulary posters, science labs, comprehension and connection activities, and much more!
This unit includes many interactive activities and learning opportunities for students with leveled reading passages that focus on:
- Rocks and minerals
- Igneous Rock
- Sedimentary Rock
- Metamorphic Rock
- Amazing Minerals
- Colorful Crystals
- Layers of the Earth
- Tectonic Plates
- The Rock Cycle
- Leveled Reading Passages
- Teacher's Pacing Guide
- Teacher's Directions & Notes
- Three Types of Rocks Pocket Sort
- Three short videos on safeshare.tv
- Facts About Rocks and Mineral Notebook Flaps
- Label The Rock Cycle
- Rocks Rock Tri-fold Booklet
- Name That Rock or Mineral Activity
- Label and Color the Layers of the Earth
- Layers of the Earth Flip Flaps
- How are Mountains Formed (Tectonic Plates)
- Science LABS (8)
- Flip Booklet (5 pages)
- Mineral Field Guide (4-pages)
- Unit Test (Editable)
- Answer Keys
Plus the vocabulary posters with real-life photos make an attractive bulletin board.
✔Spotlight on Vocabulary Activity
✔Vocabulary Flip Flaps
✔For Elementary Grades - 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade
✔Great for Core Knowledge
✔Common Core Aligned
This unit highlights the following key points:
• How are rocks changed?
• Explain the difference between erosion and weathering.
• What are the three types of rocks?
• What is sediment?
• How are rocks and minerals related?
• How is an igneous rock formed?
• Name and describe three types of igneous rock.
• How is a sedimentary rock formed?
• Name and describe three types of sedimentary rock.
• How is a metamorphic rock formed?
• Name and describe three types of metamorphic rock.
• Explain the rock cycle.
• What is a mineral?
• How are minerals helpful?
• How are crystals formed?
• What are the layers of the Earth?
• How are mountains formed?
• Name and describe three types of mountains.
• What is a volcano?
• How can a volcano affect our environment?
There are four main parts of the unit:
A teacher’s copy of the passages is in color. Read the leveled reading passages about rocks and minerals and complete the organizers. Each passage has comprehension questions to check for understanding. Watch the videos and complete the various hands-on activities in this pack to reinforce learning. These activities work well in small groups, partners, or in stations.
Students can build the flipbook page by page. I usually have them do one page at each center or station. They can use the articles as a reference source to help them complete the pages of the flip-up. Lastly, they cut, color, and assemble the booklet. Flip-up books can be glued or stapled inside their interactive notebooks.
This unit has 8 labs where students work as geologists to identify two mystery minerals. NOTE: Extra supplies are needed to complete the labs. Please read through the teacher's directions to prep for the labs.
Introduce the vocabulary words with the real-life photo posters included. You could post these posters around the classroom and have students travel around to match up and define the words in their flip flaps or spotlight on the vocabulary page. These posters make an excellent bulletin board display in a snap!
There are lots of activities for differentiation depending on the needs of your students and the time allotted for this unit.
Be sure to check out the PREVIEW for more information!
Please know that I spend a lot of time researching, creating, writing, and proofreading my work but even after several revisions there may still be a typo or grammatical error. Please let me know if you find a typo or feel that a correction is needed. Just click on the Ask a Question section or email me at email@example.com versus leaving negative feedback so that I can fix it as soon as possible. I value your input to make my products the highest quality possible. Thank you in advance for your help and support!
Copyright © Heart 2 Heart Teaching LLC. All rights reserved. This file is intended for classroom and personal use only. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
**You may print for your personal, classroom use, and non-commercial use only.
**Clipart, graphics, photographs, found inside this product are copyrighted. They may not be extracted from this file without written permission from the original artist(s).
This is a Digital Download. No Physical Product will be shipped.
- These specific files are ©2018 Heart 2 Heart Teaching, LLC. All rights reserved.
• For personal use, classroom use, and non-commercial use only. It is unlawful to distribute any part of this file for any reason (whether they are free or for purchase).
- Clipart, graphics, photographs, found inside this product are copyrighted. They may not be extracted from this file without written permission from the original artist(s).
- We'd love to see how you use these activities in your classroom--- Tag @heart2heartteaching on Instagram!
How will I receive my download?
Once purchased, you will first receive an order confirmation email. Right after that, you receive a separate email with a link that you will click to download the zipped file. You will receive one or more PDF files.
What if I can't find the email with the Printable in it?
If you're using Gmail as your mail service, be sure to check the "spam," "promotions," and "updates" folders/tabs! Your email will be sent via our automated system (omitting the potential for human error) so if you ordered the download and entered the correct email address, you can be sure it's in your email somewhere!
What's a ZIP file?
Many of our resources are in a compressed ZIP file. A ZIP file is a compressed folder with multiple files. A ZIP file takes up less storage space making it easier to download. ZIP files are able to be opened easily, just follow the steps below depending on your system.
For Microsoft Windows:
- Right click on the ZIP folder
- Choose Extract All from the menu
- Choose a place to save the file
- Click Extract
For Google Chrome:
- After it finishes downloading
- Click on the download box at bottom left of the browser page
- Click Extract All at the top of the page
For Mac Users:
- Double click on the ZIP folder
- The file should automatically extract
Other Options--try opening the ZIP file using one of these free websites:
Where do I print my download?
For BEST RESULTS, print the posters on the premium brochure and flyer paper from Office Depot. Using this paper gives the posters a vibrant look that really makes the colors pop! Or send the file to a print shop. But don't worry about that if you need these quickly! Just print on regular paper on the best quality setting on your printer.
Having Printing Issues?
Many of our files are PDF’s are large units with a lot of graphics and photographs. Sometimes, it may look fine on your screen, but may not print out correctly. If you’re having trouble printing a PDF, please be sure that you're opening the PDF with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
After downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat Reader:
- Open the PDF
- Click Print
- Select Shrink oversized pages
- Click Advanced
- Check the box: Print As Image
- Click Print