St. Patrick’s Day is such a fun holiday to share with students. They love “being green” for a day and learning about this unique holiday. There are many creative and inexpensive ways to celebrate St. Patrick's Day in the classroom.
Here’s a list of my top 6!
1. In the spirit of the mischievous leprechauns everywhere, early in the morning before students arrive turn a few things upside down or sideways. The calendar or posters on bulletin boards are great things they will notice. I also flip my computer chair over, leave a few dry erase markers on the floor, tip over a box of rulers, and pull out a few books from the bookshelf left open with a bookmark to look like someone was reading!
2. I love haphazardly spilling a handful of lucky charms on all the desks. Adding a dash of gold or green
glitter around the classroom (on counter tops, in the sink, on bookshelves, or on an empty desk) gives it an extra element of surprise. I love seeing the students eyes light up when they enter the classroom and see it.
3. Share a great read aloud.
Here are my favorites:
- How to Catch a Leprechaun by Adam Wallace is an awesome best-selling book that is sure to delight your students. The author sets up the scene by creating the perfect trap! Now all you need to do is wait. Is this the year you'll finally catch the leprechaun? Start a St. Patrick's Day tradition with this fun and lively children's book.
- St. Patrick's Day By Gail Gibbons tells the history behind Saint Patrick. A perfect introduction to the customs surrounding the holiday-- parades, special meals, and of course wearing lots of green.
- Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato By Tomie dePaola tells an old Irish story that dates back to 200 years ago. It's a fun story with some "good" luck that offers an opportunity to have discussions on a number of issues that make everyone think.
4. Enjoy a GREEN snack. I usually buy a couple of gallons of milk and add green food coloring to make it green. Or you could buy some green fruit juice. When the students are gone to lunch, I hide some chocolate gold coins in their desks.
5. Looking for a fun hands-on activity with some built in character education? Have students learn about the history of Saint Patrick and this special holiday. Our St. Patrick's Day Activity Pack comes with reading passages, hands-on activities, writing activities, and a flip book.
Check out our St. Patrick's Day Activity Pack that has many interactive activities and learning opportunities about:
✔Symbols of Ireland
✔St. Patrick’s Day Traditions
✔Map and Flag of Ireland
✔It's Your Holiday! Writing Activity
✔St. Patrick's Day Mystery Flaps
✔St. Patrick’s Day Organizers (2)
✔St. Patrick's Day Flip Book
✔Spotlight on Vocabulary
✔Give a Good Luck Charm
6. Check out our St. Patrick's Day Scavenger Hunt Freebie! Post the posters around the classroom and have students travel around to find the answers to the questions on the scavenger hunt. Students will learn about the traditions of this fun holiday as they search for clues.
However you decide to celebrate the day, stay green and have fun!